Specialization??? Hell or heaven?

Topics about Argentina Philately in english language.

Moderador: Rein

Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Re: Specialization??? Hell or heaven?

Mensaje por Rein »

In 1908-1911 (JSM en oval and Labrador series] the watermarks can have "rayos ondulados" or "rayos rectos"!

This is only a pre-view of the later madness in the 1940-ies! No illustration available of how to tell these two types of watermark apart! No subnumbers assigned so the stamp collector may quickly decide to leave these watermarks alone!

The Labrador set, however, has got a surprise for us! Hexagonals or bee-hives! Luckily very easy to establish! Hence, probably the assignment of separate catalogue numbers!

If these hexagonals are so easy than it was just as easy to tell whether they have a horizontal or a vertical direction. The distinction has been made but no subnumbers assigned! Why not!!!!!

Instead, the different origins of the hexagonals has been given subnumbers - A for Germany, B for Italy!

Does that make sense in a simplified catalogue???? Of course NOT. Who can tell German and Italian apart????

Imagen
Imagen

Imagen
Imagen

rc2119
zakur
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por zakur »

stamps9407 escribió:
...the ones who has one of each are "collectors" and "not philatelists"......
I was unable to find this phrase (written), any way it is not about agree or disagree, it is about to read the dictionary
From http://dictionary.cambridge.org/diction ... hilatelist
philatelist noun /fɪˈlæt.əl.ɪst//-ˈlæt ̬-/ n [C]
a person who collects or studies stamps and postal history

I think it is a little elitist to claim a difference between "philatelist" and "stamp collector"
The dictionary link you posted clearly sets that anyone who collects stamps IS a philatelist, either we like it or not....
And regarding the "study" part of it, it is very relative, certainly your paper analysis or Patagonian sheet reconstruction are studies. But also for a beginner is study finding out that "MAGYAR POSTA" means Hungary or "POSTA ROMANA" is Roumania and not Rome, or where is "AJMAN"....
I just mention these three because they were idenification problems I had when I started, and I always considered myself as a philatelist. (Even when I did not cared about watermarks or perforations for many years. I still don't, for many stamps of my collection.

from my exile in the caribbean,
Zakur
www.albumdeestampillas.com.ar
albumdeestampillas.blogspot.com
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

zakur escribió:
stamps9407 escribió:
...the ones who has one of each are "collectors" and "not philatelists"......
I was unable to find this phrase (written), any way it is not about agree or disagree, it is about to read the dictionary
From http://dictionary.cambridge.org/diction ... hilatelist
philatelist noun /fɪˈlæt.əl.ɪst//-ˈlæt ̬-/ n [C]
a person who collects or studies stamps and postal history

I think it is a little elitist to claim a difference between "philatelist" and "stamp collector"
The dictionary link you posted clearly sets that anyone who collects stamps IS a philatelist, either we like it or not....
And regarding the "study" part of it, it is very relative, certainly your paper analysis or Patagonian sheet reconstruction are studies. But also for a beginner is study finding out that "MAGYAR POSTA" means Hungary or "POSTA ROMANA" is Roumania and not Rome, or where is "AJMAN"....
I just mention these three because they were idenification problems I had when I started, and I always considered myself as a philatelist. (Even when I did not cared about watermarks or perforations for many years. I still don't, for many stamps of my collection.

from my exile in the caribbean,
Zakur
Pablo,

I hope your exile is rather a holiday or a business trip combined with holidays....

What is wrong with being elitist? The Dutch have the tendency - from out of their calvinistic tradition - the cut everything off that grows above the lawn - as a figure of speech of course - " Je hoofd boven het maaiveld uitsteken..."

And there is nothing wrong to remain at the level of a beginning collector... Not knowing what to do with stamps of Helvetia or CCCP [ Союз Советских Социалистических Республик ] :)
zakur
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por zakur »

It was just holidays, but is over now :(
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

zakur escribió:It was just holidays, but is over now :(

ONE MONTH!?
zakur
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por zakur »

No, just 15 days.
It took me another 2 weeks to catch up with the forum...
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

ntrm » 15 Nov 2010 23:43 escribió:
Durante muchos años fuí una persona feliz, sin complicaciones, con un mundo acotado, con solamente 5 papeles...

Hasta que llegué al foro, y apareció Tony, vino Rein, apareció el libro de Bardi, ahora le llegó competencia, Merlo se hizo ver!, y para colmo de males, esta Javier dando vueltas queriendo que yo aprenda algo..

Pero no puedo olvidar esto...

Imagen

Esto era todo!!!! TODO!!! PARA QUE MASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Martin (tapado de bencina)
Martin,

It could have been a lot easier - with watermark and without watermark! And remember that Dario Bardi has SF1,SF2 and SF3; for me there is only SF1/SF2 or SF3 and Canadian!

For many years I was a happy, uncomplicated person, with a limited world, with only 5 types of paper ...

But then I came to the forum, and Tony appeared, in came Rein, Bardi's book appeared, now there is a competition, Merlo showed up!, And to make matters worse, this Javier hanging around wanting me to learn something ..

But I can not forget this ...

That was it!! EVERYTHING! FOR MASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Martin (covered with benzene)

ntrm
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Canje de Sellos: No
Contactar:

Mensaje por ntrm »

Ja!

Pero tambien tenemos las "filigranas invisibles"!!!!

Como saber que esta si no la veo?????

Martin
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

ntrm escribió:Ja!

Pero tambien tenemos las "filigranas invisibles"!!!!

Como saber que esta si no la veo?????

Martin

Martin,

your eyes may not be capable of seeing it, but the high dpi scans should make them visible! And if the computer scanner can not "see" it, let us just say that there is no watermark! Watermarks are meant to be seen as that is their function! If we cannot see a watermark we can not tell the difference between a faked stamp and a real stamp on the basis of watermarks :) :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Responder

Volver a “Argentina Philately in the language of Shakespeare”