Gofrado suizo

Topics about Argentina Philately in english language.

Moderador: Rein

Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Re: Gofrado suizo

Mensaje por Rein »

So far only the AЯ!

Now the RA's:

The first 20c seems pretty English

Imagen

Imagen

The second one may be not:

Imagen

Imagen

The letters are not joined! The A is leaning towards the right and the join is slightly more wavy....

to be continued ....
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

What about the 30c RA???

Imagen

Imagen

to be continued ...
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

Or the 50c RA???

Imagen

Imagen

to be continued ...
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

Or the 1c and 2c:

Imagen

Imagen

Loose letters!

Imagen

Imagen

Also loose letters, the 2c has a clearly wavy join!

to be continued ...
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

The 10c RA:

Imagen

Imagen

Imagen

Imagen

Wavy joins, loose letters!?

to be continued ...
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

Otin escribió:Rein,
I don`t see the broken gum but a clear "trama" (wire mesh footprint). I cannot notice the pattern on the front of the stamp.
Here in Argentina to say it+s papel rayado we first look for that pattern imprint on the front. I agree I see a paralell watermarl so ir cannot be austrian paper but frankly I don`t see the broken gum.
José
José,

I will make a new scan but then turned 90 degrees. Pay attention to the shape!

Imagen

This is an orthogonal watermark! And gofrado suizo! :)

saludos, Rein
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

The normal plain weave trama does NOT have 4 or more diagonals! The blue angles are under 64 degrees instead of 58!

Imagen

to be continued ...
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

The normal plain weave trama does NOT have 4 or more diagonals! The blue angles are under 64 degrees instead of 58!

Turning your head when watching the screen does help! :)

Imagen

to be continued ...
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

For the perpetual non-believers that you can tell the gofrado suizo without the actual gum!

Turning the stamp 90 degrees in your scanner reveals other beauties!

Imagen

Imagen

to be continued ...
Otin
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador

Mensaje por Otin »

Rein,
I was looking my copies of JSM with papel rayado and found its resenblance with WT paper is astonishing. But I have also noticed that vertical distance netween suns in not the 20mm of WT( ( more than 21 to 23mm in my samples) and also that the sun diameter scarcely reaches de 9mm dia. You know WT sun dia, is between 9.5 and 10mm.
You can see by yourself that in your first illustration some stamps show foligrana transpuesta, thing that doesn`t happen with WT paper.
As to Curt Berger paper I accept your reasoning and my ibvious conclusion is that led to confusion in application of gum.
And I don`t care the dandy roll position; I care about the wmk position in the actual stamp as seen. Saludos,
José
Otin
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador

Mensaje por Otin »

Rein,
One more questión: the mint 20c stamp you show in this post: what kind of "granulado" is: paralelo or perpendicular, in youe words: parallel or orthogonal wnk?
José
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

One more questión: the mint 20c stamp you show in this post: what kind of "granulado" is: paralelo or perpendicular, in youe words: parallel or orthogonal wnk?
José
José,

ALL JSM stamps with broken gum have an orthogonal watermark!!! Hence, this also goes for the 20c!

saludos, Rein
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

I was looking my copies of JSM with papel rayado and found its resenblance with WT paper is astonishing. But I have also noticed that vertical distance netween suns in not the 20mm of WT( ( more than 21 to 23mm in my samples) and also that the sun diameter scarcely reaches de 9mm dia. You know WT sun dia, is between 9.5 and 10mm.
You can see by yourself that in your first illustration some stamps show foligrana transpuesta, thing that doesn`t happen with WT paper.
As to Curt Berger paper I accept your reasoning and my ibvious conclusion is that led to confusion in application of gum.
And I don`t care the dandy roll position; I care about the wmk position in the actual stamp as seen. Saludos,
José
José,

some characteristics of the WT papers are there,but that does not mean that also all distances and sizes should be the same! And as this is paper with an orthogonal watermark it naturally is different from the later [1926 onwards] WT paper with a parallel watermark!

I said that the broken gums have [at least] 2 different types of paper. The RA reading from the back could be Austrian? R and A are not joined in the 1c or 2c, but the 20c is close!

saludos, Rein
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

José
José,

of course nobody bothers or cares for the dandy-roll at first, but the position is important as it determines the reading of the watermark in the stamp [from the back] and urges us to take care of the direction of paper AND the felt/wire side as well! The Fulano de Tal does not give a damn about the latter two aspects but a serious philatelist can not avoid them really...

Especially determining whether the wire side had been printed on is terribly difficult at times or rather a mission impossible, but in quite a lot of cases it is very easy as I have shown!

viewtopic.php?f=137&t=4713&start=19

saludos, Rein
Otin
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador

Mensaje por Otin »

Rein,
As an old song says "you know but too well" that WT paper used up to rayado vertical have parallel watermarks. Therefore there are not broken gum on its paper in JSM set.
And don´t worry. After my last article in our journal concerning eje de enrollamiento I´m sure collectors will pay attention to positions of wmk in the dandy roll. Saludos,
José
Responder

Volver a “Argentina Philately in the language of Shakespeare”