Dandy roll

Moderador: Rein

filatemusico
Usuario Nuevo
Usuario Nuevo

Re: Dandy roll

Mensaje por filatemusico »

Rein.
We are talking about the same stamps: The exportas 2a. serie and commemoratives 1977-82 but some of this stamps are hardly difficult to see the mark.

There are at least two different paper.
In the orders of exportas TIEV mentioned for the 2a. serie of exporta:
Ingles Samuel Jones, Ingles Henry and Leigh States, fiscal, Ingles H. L. S. L.
Do you have some information of this paper makers?

Saludos.
José.
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

filatemusico escribió:Rein.
It is a little difficult to me explain this process in English:
You have to destroy a stamp for to do this therefore I recommend doing it in damaged stamps.
You have to separate the gummed side of the printed side, images can explain better this process:

Imagen
Imagen
Imagen

these images are only with UV light Imagen
Imagen
it can be seen only without the gummed side because the phosphorescent ink penetrated slightly the paper.
if you ilumiate the stamps whit UV light the gummed side you can see the mark.
José,

it is clear now, but I do not quite get why you are splitting the stamp up in two halfs ;) :)

The violet reaction is indeed the inert paper [inside] that reflects and the visible pattern comes from the phosphorescence getting just deep enough inside the paper [after you have removed the other layer]. Does this type of paper have two layers???

saludos, Rein
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

filatemusico escribió:Rein.
We are talking about the same stamps: The exportas 2a. serie and commemoratives 1977-82 but some of this stamps are hardly difficult to see the mark.

There are at least two different paper.
In the orders of exportas TIEV mentioned for the 2a. serie of exporta:
Ingles Samuel Jones, Ingles Henry and Leigh States, fiscal, Ingles H. L. S. L.
Do you have some information of this paper makers?

Saludos.
José.
José.

all are well known paper mills, i.e. Samuel Jones, Henry & Leigh Slater Ltd [H.L.S.L] are known although they may no longer exist. Slater has been merged into Coated Paper Ltd [CPL] which in turn became Tullis Russell. The other big English firm Harrison and Sons Ltd did provide half of the world with stamp papers since 1971 [after the merger of the H&S Printing House into De La Rue in 1997, H&S stopped making stamp paper and what was left of its paper was sold through T.R.].

Samuel Jones and Co became part of the Wiggins Teape Group, later ArjoWiggins, etc. Wiggins Teape did provide stamp paper for Argentina since 1925 and somewhere wound up in WiTCell [Wiggins Teape Cellulosa]....

I am surprised that the H&S did not provide Mexico with stamp paper! However, the general feel is similar, and it also can be found in the Argentina 2000 Cultural definitives!

Which leaves us with another major player! SOPAL, French paper mill with stamp papers that have both sides coated!!!

As can be seen in the Argentina 2000 definitives but also in Mexican stamps!

to be continued .....
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

English paper:

Imagen

the watermark impression made by the dandy-roll can be seen in relief att he front of the stamp!

Imagen

to be continued ...
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

Sopal double-coated paper - see the damaged surfaces....

Imagen
Imagen

Imagen
Imagen

Imagen
Imagen

to be continued ...
Otin
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador

Mensaje por Otin »

Rein: It´s been a long time I didnt read Philatelely in the lenguage of Shakespeare. However reading the post from filamusico dated Feb 2, 2013 I was sorprised you did not correct his statement concerning percentaje of stuff and water in the Fourdrinier. The dandy roll does not exert pressure when that proportion is still 0,5% fibers and 99,5% water. In the first place that proportion is scarcely used por certain kinds of paper. Normally for stamp paper it is 2% fibers and 98% water.
As you know this proportion varies as soon as it is shed onto the endless travelling wire cloth as water starts draining in the very moment it touches that wire, When the forming layer of fibres reaches some 60% (water had drained some 40%), then commences de action of the dandu roll, which original purpose is to even the felt side of the paper and also extract remaing water. (see "paper making" in the Internet and you´ll see the dandy "spitting" water),
At least in Spanish watermark, apart from its meaning of filigrana, also means línea de agua (line of water) indicating the limit on the wireless band were the shine of water dissapears and the forming paper shows itself a "shineless" surface. According to description of paermaking process in related books in Spanish, that limit determines the position of the dandy roll, that is, it is placed a short distance from said line, Saludos,
José
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

José,

I hope you will be a frequent reader again here!

There are plenty of subjects recently that may interest you! Albeit the matter of chalky paper and the English attitude towards it!

saludos, Rein
Otin
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador

Mensaje por Otin »

Rein,
Due to family questions, principally health, I hadn´t had much time to dedicate to the Foro. Now things are getting better (but not that best) and I have some more spare time to read and discuss subjects in the Foro. Best regards,
José
Responder

Volver a “Papers and printing methods”