Basic knowledge about stamp printing in Brasil!?

Topics about Argentina Philately in english language.

Moderador: Rein

Responder
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Basic knowledge about stamp printing in Brasil!?

Mensaje por Rein »

That most stamps of Brasil have been printed in the Mint [Casa do Moeda] may be common knowledge, but what type of printing presses were/are in use???? What printing methods???

The usage of typography is long over! Since when???

Most commemoratives are in offset-litho now!

Definitives were in photogravure and/or recess! Does this still go???
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Re: Basic knowledge about stamp printing in Brasil!?

Mensaje por Rein »

Photogravure can be found since 1939 when a private printing company - Guanabara -  did print some commemoratives: 15.11.1939 50 year republic and 20.07.1941 Centenarios de Portugal.

The next stamps in photogravure appeared in 1953!

The Mint had acquired 2 [two] WIFAG reel-fed rotary press from the Swiss firm Winckler Fallert A.G. in 1951. Both capable of printing with the combination of 1 recess cylinder and 3 photogravure cylinders!

08.0.4.1953 400 Years Sante Andre in recess;
06.05.1953 100 Year Aaraõ Reis in photogravure.

Combinations of recess and photogravure are rare! The recess cylinder, however, could produce up till 4 colours by using the Giori process [4 devices inking ONE recess cylinder] and also that option was rarely used for postage stamps!

The WIFAG press printing with reels of paper did REQUIRE a different type of paper! Although the watermarks may seem familiar.....

Just three [3] cylinders for photogravure seem quite a lot in 1951, but in the 1980-ies with the introduction of CMYK - using standard colours for blue [cyan], red [magenta], yellow and black [key] it was not enough. What to do???

When you look carefully at the various definitives in multicolour you will not find the black colour! Texts in the flowers or birds series are in cyan or magenta!!!

And definitives in recess often have the phosphor bands in photogravure!!

In the following posts I will get back to what I indicated just now :)
leonardoleidi
Usuario Verificado
Usuario Verificado
Colecciono: Compro por lista de faltas. Me interesan catálogos especializados de todo el mundo para clasificar variedades. También catálogos de sobres, vuelos, tarjetas postales, matasellos, historia postal, perforados y cualquier otra temática.
Canje de Sellos: Si
Contactar:

Mensaje por leonardoleidi »

Thank u for the info!
Saludos a todos

Leonardo Daniel Leidi Mora
Otin
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador

Mensaje por Otin »

Rein, screen used in Brazil´s photogravure printed stamps is quite strange for me, as it is not the traditional square, diagonal screnn, but of a honeycomb structure
. You can see it in my book El fotograbado y sus variedades, page 107, that I sent you a few years ago. Concerning this: what press used this screen?
Merlo
Rein
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador
Contactar:

Mensaje por Rein »

Otin escribió:Rein, screen used in Brazil´s photogravure printed stamps is quite strange for me, as it is not the traditional square, diagonal screnn, but of a honeycomb structure
. You can see it in my book El fotograbado y sus variedades, page 107, that I sent you a few years ago. Concerning this: what press used this screen?
Merlo

José,

I called it a bricklayer screen and it was used from the very beginning in Brasil - 1939 and 1941 photogravure by Guanabara Printing House (Lito-tipo Guanabara, Rio de Janeiro) and later since 1953 in the Casa do Moeda. This type of screen was used in Poland by the PWPW, Warsaw since 1953 till far in the 1970-ies as well......

saludos, Rein

P.S.

I will show that the Casa do Moeda used both the bricklayer screen and the traditional cross-screen for the same Brasil stamps!
Otin
Usuario Colaborador
Usuario Colaborador

Mensaje por Otin »

Rein, it´s good to know it. Show the same stamp printed with both screens,
José
Responder

Volver a “Argentina Philately in the language of Shakespeare”